Based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands and New Jersey, US, Castor is an international health-tech company founded in 2012 by CEO Derk Arts, MD, PhD to leverage machine readable data to increase clinical trial efficiency. Castor’s Electronic Data Capture (EDC) platform enables every researcher worldwide to easily capture and integrate medical research data from any source in real-time, including clinicians, patients, devices, wearables, and EHR systems.
Castor is currently collaborating with 40,000 researchers, academic institutions and commercial companies across 90 countries. Their platform has supported more than 4,100 studies that cover a broad range of disease areas including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, rare diseases, and cancer. Researchers on the platform generate vast amounts of data from traditional and decentralized trials, and Castor recently reached milestones of 140,000,000 data points and 1,500,000 enrolled patients. Castor’s goal is to make the world’s research data reusable, enabling AI-driven clinical trials, and ultimately creating a future in which we maximize the impact of data through reuse.
In 2018 Castor raised $6.25m in funding from early-stage investor INKEF Capital in the Netherlands.
- Founded in 2011
- Headquartered in Amsterdam with offices in the U.S.
- 50+ team members
- 40,000+ users in 90+ countries
- 4,100+ live studies
- 1,500,000+ enrolled patients
- 140,000,000+ data points
- Servers in the Netherlands, UK, and US
- €5.3M raised during Series A round
- €2M in grants from the European Union
- Castor establishes Advisory Board of industry leaders to maximize the impact of its clinical data platform
- Castor announces international expansion to meet growing demand for an AI-powered clinical data platform
- Castor joins forces with EuroQol to facilitate EQ-5D survey usage
- Castor recognized as the fasted growing technology company in the NL healthcare sector
- Castor EDC raises $6.25M Series A to accelerate medical research
- Castor receives ISO 27001 certification
- [Video](Dutch only) Fast Moving Targets interviewed CEO Derk Arts in 2015 and our vision was one of the topics discussed. Castor has made the first steps towards them, and we are in conversation with various parties in order to realize our vision.
- [Video](Dutch only) Founder Derk Arts pitching at Deloitte Rising Star 2016 – 2 minute pitch
- [Video]How Castor EDC contributes to FAIR Data